When is Probate required

Probate is required when:

  • the deceased owned land or property in his or her sole name or as Tenants in Common, and;
  • where the total value of all accounts with a specific organisation exceeds their threshold.

Probate thresholds for the 8 main high street banks

Please note that these are the current limits. The bank/building society can change these so it is always advisable to check first.

If the total value of all the accounts exceeds the threshold then the bank will require sight of the Grant of Representation in order to close the accounts and release the funds.

Example 1:  John had two accounts with Barclays with a total value of £65,000. As the total value exceeds Barclays threshold they will sight of the Grant of Representation.

Clarence Trustees - How to Apply for Probate

For free initial advice and guidance call our Probate Executives on 01702 552008 or contact us online and request a call back.

When Probate is not required

You may not need to obtain probate if:

  • the deceased owned property as Joint Tenants, and;
  • had sole assets below £5,000 or;
  • the money held in the bank/building society is below the threshold.

In such instances, the bank will usually close the account and release the funds to the Personal Representatives. They will have to sign a personal indemnity before the bank will release the funds.

Example 2:  John had three accounts, two with Barclays and the other one with Lloyds Bank. He had £65,000 in his Barclays accounts and £40,000 in his Lloyds account. Lloyds bank will not require sight of the Grant of Representation but Barclays will.

Clarence Trustees - How to Apply for Probate

Find out about our Fixed Fee Probate Service

Click here to contact us or request a call back


You may also like:

The ONLY Probate Source you will need

Summary of the Rules of Intestacy

How to Apply for Probate 6 in basic steps

Inheritance Tax Threshold & Residence Nil Rate Band

The Distressing Cost of a DIY Will Kit & How to Avoid it!

Second Marriage Syndrome – Wills and IHT

Guardians For Your Minor Children

Long Term Care Fees & Mitigation

Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs)